The two-time Grammy Award winning opera Elmer Gantry returns to the Florentine stage with a new cast, on the heels of critical acclaim and standing ovations at performances across the nation.
Click here for the latest review of the American opera ELMER GANTRY from the Shepherd Express.
Click here for the latest review of the American opera ELMER GANTRY from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Based on the popular Sinclair Lewis novel, this captivating tale reflects on the rise and fall of a small town preacher in early 20th century America and his love affair with a devout evangelist, with a powerful score influenced by American gospel and folk music.
Robert Aldridge’s Elmer Gantry is framed with an enthralling score influenced by traditional opera, vibrant gospel, and American-folk styles. Craig Verm (Papageno in The Magic Flute, 2009; Adonis in Venus and Adonis, 2011; Aeneas in Dido and Aeneas, 2011; and Count Almaviva in The Marriage of Figaro, 2013) sings the title role of Elmer Gantry, alongside Katherine Pracht (Mrs. McLean in Susannah, 2012) as the evangelist Sharon Falconer. Former 2012-2013 Florentine Studio Artist Alisa Suzanne Jordheim (Frasquita in Carmen, 2012; Miss Wordsworth in Albert Herring, 2013; and Barbarina in The Marriage of Figaro, 2013) returns as Lulu Baines, with Jeffrey Beruan making his Florentine debut as her father, Reverend Arthur Baines. Frank Kelly directs this all-star cast with the return of Maestro Christopher Larkin (Albert Herring, 2013) conducting the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra in this poignant and energetic revival.
This two act opera is 2 hours and 40 minutes long with one intermission.
Click here for the latest ELMER GANTRY interview with the cast and the conductor on WUWM’s LAKE EFFECT.
Click here to see the cast of ELMER GANTRY on WTMJ 4’s the Morning Blend
Click here for the latest ELMER GANTRY preview on Urban Milwaukee.
Click here for the latest ELMER GANTRY preview and cover-story in the Shepherd Express.
Click here for the latest interview with WISN 12’s Thema Ponton. Thema chats with Eric McKeever and Rick Clark about ELMER GANTRY on the latest ‘Arts Avenue’ segment.
Click here for the latest ELMER GANTRY preview from the Journal Sentinel’s Elaine Schmidt.
Click here for the latest ELMER GANTRY interview with the creative team with 88NINE Radio Milwaukee’s Jordan Lee.
Click here for the latest ELMER GANTRY preview article from the Wisconsin Gazette.
Click here for the commercial recording review of ELMER GANTRY preview article from The New York Times.
Join us for all of our ELMER GANTRY events:
• Feb. 18, 7PM – Opera Insights for Elmer Gantry – FREE @ The Opera Center in Riverwest (thanks for attending).
• Feb. 21, 12:30PM – Opera Insights for Elmer Gantry – FREE @ The Tosa Library
• Mar. 1, 7PM – A Camerata Opera Party for Elmer Gantry – FREE @ Ginger
• Mar. 13 & 15, prior to the opera – PRE-OPERA DINING pre-performance dining in the Bradley Pavilion of the Marcus Center (call for RSVP and purchase 414-291-5700 ext 212)
• Mar. 13, 6:30PM and Mar. 15, 1:30PM – A FREE TALK OPERA pre-performance talk prior to the performances of Elmer Gantry – in the Anello Atrium of the Marcus Center
for companion reading to this TALK OPERA event click Elmer Gantry review–short
• Mar. 13, After the opera – A FREE GRAMMY® Cast Party for Elmer Gantry – @ The Marcus Center (all ticket buyers welcome)
• Mar. 14, 7PM – A FREE Symposium with the Creative Team of Elmer Gantry – @ The Wisconsin Conservatory of Music
Click here to see a listing of all of our events.